Thursday, August 7, 2008

Blue like jazz

I am reading blue like jazz by donald miller and I really am enjoying it. there is a chapter in his book where he talks about romance and love. He is writing a play that is a story told through monologues, and in this play the main character and his wife are fighting because their son recently died. Miller said that he had originally planned on having the couple divorce, however once he talked with a friend he decided to keep them together. In the chapter he shares the section of the play that he changed. The last section of the monologue really touched me so I thought I would share it with you:

I will give you this, my love, and I will not bargain or barter any longer. I will love you, as sure as He has loved me. I will discover what I can discover and though you remain a mystery, save God's own knowledge, what I disclose of you I will keep in the warmest chamber of my heart, the very chamber where God has stowed Himself in me. And I will do this to my death, and to death it may bring me.
I will love you like God, because of God, mighted by the power of God. I will stop expecting your love, demanding your love, trading for you love, gaming for you love. I will simply love. I am giving myself to you, and tomorrow I will do it again. I suppose the clock itself will wear thin its time before I am ended at this altar of dying and dying again.
God risked Himself on me. I will risk myself on you. And together, we will learn to love, and perhaps then, and only then, understand this gravity that drew Him, unto us.

If I had found this a few weeks ago I would have read it to Trever at our wedding
If you get some time I recommend the entire book

2 comments:

the McWhorters said...

Great book- I also recommend!

Have a great day Hoehnes.

Amy Susan said...

brooke, i've always appreciated your mind. i'm so glad you shared that - it's perhaps the best blog entry i've read anywhere in quite some time.